Feb 17, 2010

Random Dozen - Olympic Style



1. If you could compete in one Olympic event (not necessarily winter sports) what would it be?

As long as ability doesn't necessarily need to play in the equation, and in light of the fact that this happens to be the sport I watched today, I could see me loving the women's snowboarding. I mean, that is if I was that young, athletically trained competitor that saw snow more than 10 times in her whole life.

2. Do remember a specific Olympic moment from the past?

I remember Dorothy Hamill winning the gold in 1976 in figure skating. Well, actually the only reason I really remember it is because mine was one of those moms who flocked to the barber shops to get her only 4-year old kid a matching haircut.

3. Have you ever known anyone who competed in the Olympics?

Yes! In the women's ministry, WOVEN, of which I am a part, we had a guest speaker at our very first conference in Fort Worth, Texas. Her name was Kim Macklin, and she was a competitive swimmer on the 1984 Olympic swim team. Her story was awesome, because she spoke of our identity in Christ as women and as believers. Her point to drive home was that even having your picture on the front of a Wheaties box can't give you the identity our hearts long for. It was a touching story.

4. If everyday activities were Olympic-worthy, which activity would you have a gold medal in?

I would have to say...couponing! I saved over $112 two weeks ago!

5. Do you know anything about your ethnic heritage?

Yeah, this IS random...I just know that my mom's maternal side came from Sicily, and her paternal from Germany. I think all of my dad's family came from a part of Czechoslovakia that used to be known as Bohemia. Well, I think it's still referred to as Bohemia within the Czech Republic...or...

Well, you asked if I knew ANYTHING. That was SOMEthing.

6. Do you enjoy sleeping late?

I enjoy it while I'm in my warm flannel sheets and the house is a cool 65 degrees. But then I don't enjoy after I get up and I feel like my day is already half over before I start the coffee. I'd rather be up early...as long as I'm not up too late at night. Like now.

7. Have you ever performed CPR on anyone? Do you know how? (Yes, that's two, I know. Whatevs.)

I have never performed CPR because I don't know how to. That's also something I don't think I've ever had to admit "out loud." I don't like it.

8. Name one country you'd like to visit and explain why.

Are you kidding? Just ONE? I would have to say Israel. God has given me a love for His people, and I want to go there and get to know them some day.

9. Have you ever fixed up a couple romantically?

I called and asked my now-husband to meet me half-way between our towns (which was still a two-hour drive!) for our first date. That counts, right?

10. What is the last book you read?

The last one I actually finished: The Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens.
The last one I actually picked up to read: Way too many to list here.

11. Do you enjoy sleeping late? NO, YOU write the question! How's that for random??

Lidna, I hope you're reading this, because I have the most extreme respect for you right now. I don't know how you've come up with all these questions for us...I can't think of ONE that you haven't already asked!


12. What is your favorite meal at your favorite restaurant?

If you've read any recent posts lately (like in the last several months) you already know that we are currently engaged in the Dave Ramsey program. We don't eat out much these days, so I almost can't remember!

But the last thing I ate out was pretty stinkin' good, so I'll put that. And before you think you're going to call the Dave Ramsey Police on me, DH got money for his birthday, so he took me on a date. How cool is that?

So we went to this Cuban-Style Mexican restaurant named La Parrilla, and I had a killer fish taco plate. It was REALLY good. New fave.



And it looked just like that, too.

Now, grab ya a second cup, and head on over to Lidna's to see what everyone else is saying. Go ahead...it's fun!

20 comments:

BARBIE said...

Loved the coupon clipping answer! I am so trying to keep up with that but keep falling off the wagon. I need to keep trying.

SouthLakesMom said...

Setting yourself up and ending up married is a true success story! Good for you!

I highly recommend taking a CPR class with the Red Cross. It's time for me to re-certify. I hope I never have to use it, but it is nice to know how, especially since I'm reached the age where the percentages of people needing it are higher (isn't that a fun fact!)

Angie said...

It's funny how # 2 seems to be turning out to be all about Dorothy Hamill's hair! Love it! (and yes, I had the haircut too.)

A Christmas Carol was my last fiction read too!

That is a yummy looking fish taco! I love fish, but the only fish tacos I've had were with breaded fish - yuck! Yours looks delicious.

Nel said...

Wow the coupon clipping answer was quite impressive! Fun answers, thanks for sharing.

until next time... nel

P.S. The I Won... You Win Giveaway is going on at my place. Stop by my Monday post if you are interested.

Thena said...

Coupon clipping that is something I really need to get back into the habit of doing. Money in my pocket because we allow a certain amount for groceries and I keep what's leftover.

Melli said...

LOL! I had to google to find out who Dave Ramsey was so I'd know who not to tell! Don't worry... your secret is SAFE with me!

HIGH 5's on the COUPON thing! WOW! I used to be sooooo good about couponing... back when we were a young starving couple with 4 kids. Now days I don't even look at a coupon. But I SHOULD! I could STILL be saving money! It drives me nuts though that there's never coupons for FRESH fruits and vegetables... the most expensive stuff in the store!

Mocha with Linda said...

I almost included Dorothy Hamill and the haircuts in my Olympic answer!

Susanne said...

Couponing! Go Girl! You deserve the gold medal for saving that much money!

Jessie at Blog Schmog said...

Couponing! That's hilarious. :)
You are funny. I've got three little men too and then a girl.

Skoots1moM said...

couponing is a great one!
i saved $20 yesterday and was so excited...

Michelle said...

GIRRLL! Dave Ramsey is awesome! We are truly soul friends. Do you have gazelle intensity? Cuz I sure don't. I've been snowballin' for about 4 yrs! LOL...Home Depot and Lowes 12 mo same as cash keeps getting in the way. I keep having to pay them off to not get any interest. I know! It's wrong! Anyways...how in the hades did you save $100+ at the store. I'm still working on it! You need to be giving me some tips. Right before hopping over here I read another bloggy buddy got PAID at the grocery store! For real. I swawnie! I think it's my area...we just don't have the good catalinas or anything and I really only have 2 store options. Oh well. I'm done blabbing. Told ya I'd be around. :)

Chel said...

sista! I could not remember Kim's name!! Thank you! I was such a mess with that being our first conference and all that my mind was so whirly twirly! Love you!! Those were great answers.
Chel

Edie said...

I had a Dorothy Hamill haircut that year (not intentionally) and someone told me I looked like her. LOL!

Will you do my grocery shopping from now on? Since I spend less than you save you won't need any money and you can keep the change! It's a win-win situation! :D

6. Ditto! But I LOVE my flannel sheets!!!

Tracy said...

You've become my coupon clipping hero!

I remember those Dorthy Hamil haircuts too.

You've now made me hungry for fish tacos.

Robin Lambright said...

How jealous am I. I have just started to use coupons. We have toyed with the idea of doing Dave Ramsey, our church offers it on a regular basis. But our family began living on a budget about 15 years ago (during a very financially challenged time) and I am thankful to say we have been very successful at managing our money, but I know there is alway room for improvement.

I clipped and used my first coupon the other day at the grocery store.

Blessings
R

Unknown said...

Wow- those are some tough questions!!

How did you save so much on one shopping trip????

~Becca

Jenny said...

never watch much of the Olympics now. but they are great. had fun watching it when i was just a kid:P

Diana Ferguson said...

Enjoyed the Q & A.

How did you save that much?!

Tanna said...

Okay, Chel. I think there SHOULD be a medal for saving $112 with coupons! My daughter has been telling me about Dave Ramsey. She is trying to incorporate some of his ideas into their lifestyle and has started cooking meals! I say, YEA! Ya'll are doing wonderful! Take care.

Michelle said...

Where in the sam hill are you? I've been checking in for posts. You've been gone so long I posted a post! Get back here and write...NOW!