Jan 27, 2010
Random Dozen - I Can't WAIT!
1. How good are you at delaying gratification?
I would say I'm pretty good at it. I'm of the mindset that I would rather wait and relish instead of rush and regret. That sounds all well and good, but sometimes it bites me in the rear.
Like the time I was in an antique store and saw a white, enamel-covered metal baby cup EXACTLY like the one I had when I was a tot. It had a navy blue handle and two flowers on it, red and yellow.
And an $8 price tag. And I WAITED.
It looked just like this, but with either two or three flowers on two sides of it.
Almost 12 years later, I'm still looking for that stupid cup.
2. Maybe a marshmallow wouldn't be too difficult a temptation for you. What food (or anything else) would be most tempting?
Marshmallow...not so much. But one of these Apple Dumplins? Well, that's a different story. I really shouldn't have them in my house. Deeee-lish.
3. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being saintly) how patient are you?
I would say I'm about a 7. It didn't used to be that high, but I would say I've mellowed out some.
4. Have you ever waited for something in life only to be disappointed upon realization of the goal/object/etc.?
It felt like FOR.EV.ER to turn 21. After my 21st birthday, it was really no big deal, except I felt more responsibility. That was kind of a bummer. Now though, I wouldn't want to be 21 again for all the world. I love being my age right now.
5. Are you a person who takes shortcuts?
I'll take shortcuts if I'm driving to a place and I KNOW that the shortcut actually works. But to shortcut around a job usually seems to end up in re-work. And I can't stand to have to do something a second time unnecessarily.
6. Which line is hardest to wait in?
The bathroom line.
7. Did you wait to discover the gender of your unborn child until its birth?
We did wait on the first two; after they were both boys, we NEEDED to know ahead of time if the 14 boxes of blue were going to be trash or treasure for the third one. So we cheated with him.
8. Are you more patient with children or the elderly?
I think I'm more patient with the elderly...I was always taught to respect my elders, and who am I kidding? I know I'm gonna be one some day!
9. Did you ever sneak a peek at a present?
You know what...I did that ONE time. I found all of my presents before my parents wrapped them in their closet one year. And it was the worst Christmas morning EVER. There was nothing that was a surprise to me. So I pledged I would never, ever do that again. (I've told my kids that story, too.)
10. What is the longest you've ever waited for anything?
I'm gonna say that cruise I mentioned last week...waited 12 years for that baby.
11. Who has more patience, you or your significant other?
Um, that would be me. Unequivocally and hands down.
12. Which of the following songs about waiting is your pick for the best? (OK, you may substitute another, if you like.)
A) Anticipation by Carly Simon
B) The Waiting by Tom Petty
C) Right Here Waiting for You by Richard Marx
D) Wait for Me by Rebecca St. James
I'm gonna piiiiiiiiiiick......Richard Marx...Right Here Waiting for You, and here's why:
DH and had a long-distance relationship the entire time we dated. We lived about 250 miles apart, and our first date we met half-way in a little town called Victoria, Texas. We met through his cousin, who was one of my best friends at the time. I would travel to his parents' house to visit him on the weekends, or he would come up to where I was and stay with his cousin. It was interesting, to say the least....and it worked!
Well, was it worth the wait? Go getcha a Second Cup with Lid and the gang!