Jun 18, 2011

And Now, A Random Recipe

This isn't going to flow well from my last post to this one. But I've always said I'm a little eclectic, anyway. :-)

Today I was going to make a simple tuna casserole for my kids for lunch. If you've never had it, it's just a box of mac and cheese (made), a can of tuna (drained), and a can of cream of mushroom soup -- all mixed together.

Sidenote: That is not the recipe I logged on to blogger to share with you. Please keep reading.

I was out of cream of mushroom soup, so I made some. Sortof.



Here's the recipe that I used. This is a powdered mix you make and store, and when you want a cream soup (mushroom, chicken, celery, etc.), mix 1/2 cup of this powder with 1-1/4 c water and cook until thick. Then add the butter to melt. It's wonderful!

Cream Soup Recipe

2 c dry milk
3/4 c cornstarch
1/4 c chicken bouillon granules
2 T dried onion flakes
1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
1/2 tsp. dried leaf basil (optional)
1/2 tsp. dried leaf oregano (optional)
1/2 tsp. ground marjoram (optional)
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2-3 tsp. butter

Combine all ingredients except butter together and store in airtight container. To use, mix 1/2 cup powder with 1-1/4 c water and cook until thick; add butter. This equals approximately one can of cream soup. The mix makes enough to equal 9 to 10 cans. For cream of mushroom or celery, saute the mushrooms or celery in the butter before adding to the cooked soup.

Enjoy!

No comments: